Annual Vacations

My Annual Vacations are mostly an ordeal. Its a shuttle between the place I was brought up i.e. Chennai and the place I was born i.e. Kerala. Needless to say I hate vacations, but it is a neccessary evil that I have to do at least once every year if not more. My BP shoots up higher there than my normal working days in Dubai. Because there the tensions range from why so and so commented on me this way starting from you have grown so fat to when are you giving us good news and why did you change the job line from IT!!! Like they really cared a damn about me. They just had to ask questions that hurt me. The kind of questions that bring an expression on my face that is quite similar to that lady's in the nappy ad where she sees her baby boy sitting in a pool of his urine(I think it was huggies, not so sure though) when they are playing hide and seek.

Anyways I know now that I will never be able to get into the marketing department of any company, because I have lived for five years with the most stubborn customer one has ever come across i.e my husband. I tried my level best in convincing him in going to a place other than India for a vacation this time. He happily did not cave in saying he didnt have the money. But oh yes, he had the money to turn up for a golden jubilee alumni event which did not feature any of his classmates and that too for just 3 days!! Oh ya I am not a good talker and I can never be a lawyer either cos I just dont know how to argue with this man let alone argue with another lawyer in front of a judge.

Anyway coming back to the annual vacation , I have realised rather painfully that amongst my relatives people returning from the Gulf have lower value than those coming from the US and the UK. In fact some people are wondering how come I travel once every three months to India. Isnt it recession time? Well for starters the flight is only 3 and a half hours and the ticket prices are much cheaper than travelling to US and UK. And about getting holidays , we get the same amount of holidays except that unlike the US , UK NRIs we dont travel anywhere else except to India. And we dont take days off for hiking , trekking, rock climbing etc. Our only form of entertainment are the huge malls and the cinemas. And if do you dont earn much you dont spend much in these shops anyway!

I am quite fed up of this whole vacation commotion. From now on even if I dont travel to exotic foreign locales I will be travelling to hill stations like Ooty or Kodai as they bring me a lot of calm which I just dont get anywhere else.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To win a lottery!

Books and being desperate in Dubai!

Chennai or Dubai?